The iPad is a lot of things to a lot of people. Some prefer to use it to manage their daily lives. Other use it as their mobile entertainment center. And there are some iPad owners who use their device as an educational tool. The iPad can be quite a life-saver for the student of science. Take astronomy apps for example. We have seen too many of them on iPhone. But the experience one gets on an iPhone is pretty limited as the small screen does really take away from the fun. That’s where Distant Suns for iPad comes in to play. It’s a powerful astronomy application for iPad that enables you to explore the stars and pick up new knowledge in the process without needing a super expensive astronomy tool. Distant Suns is quite popular among iPhone owners, but it gets a whole new life on iPad.
Distant Suns comes with over 130,000 objects that you can explore on your iPad. It also covers 88 constellations with images and articles about their significance. The app is compass aware, so you can just point it to the sky to identify the objects that you are looking at. The app is GPS aware as well, so it should work fine with iPad 3G (though we have not tested it yet).
Distant Suns covers all 8 planets and Pluto. It also provides a ton of data about the objects you see in the sky. So learning never has to end. I also like the fact that you get to customize how objects are shown on your iPad (see below screen-shot).
All in all, Distant Suns gives a whole new meaning to exploring the skies on a handheld device. The iPad is no ordinary handheld device. Distant Suns is designed to take advantage of the positives of the iPad. It has a quite attractive design and has ton of information for students of astronomy. If you are into astronomy, Distant Suns is worth a serious look.
Update: it’s now a universal app.
|many stars, interface, design||None|
Win Distant Suns for iPad
The good folks behind Distant Suns 2 for iPad have been kind enough to provide us with 5 promo codes to give away on iAF. The rules are quite simple:
- Follow @ipadness, @lazyastronomer and @distantsuns on Twitter and tweet the following message: (or click here): Freebie Alert!: Distant Suns for iPad #Giveaway –> Follow @ipadness @distantsuns and visit http://ipad.appfinders.com/distant-suns/ to win
- Check http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/distant-suns-for-ipad-astronomy/id363418936?mt=8 and leave a comment below to let us know why you would like to own this app.
- Extra Entry #1 (optional): join our Facebook page (leave an extra comment with your Facebook handle)
- Extra Entry #2 (optional): blog about it (leave an extra comment with the link)
- Extra Entry #3 (optional): Add this site to Delicious by clicking here and leave a comment with your Delicious username.
That’s it. Please do not leave duplicate messages. Only one comment per step 2-5. Please note step 1 and 2 are required for your entry to be valid. Make sure the email you leave with your comment works or your entry is void. We will use Random.org to choose winners. The contest will close on May 2nd, 11:59 PM EST. The winners will be contacted shortly thereafter. Please use the promo codes as soon as possible. Good luck!
People who visited this article also visited: